Visual Chunks of Information
I have been using Bible Key Worksheets and the Inductive Bible Study Method for over 20 years. Verse mapping is very similar. I've combined these approaches with Becky Higgins Project Life ideas to create Pocket Bible Journal Cards.
Verse Mapping is a method of studying the Bible in a way that unpacks the scriptures using word origins, context, definitions, and prayer to help you find deeper meaning in God’s Word and apply it to your life. You can use pocket cards for verse mapping, focusing on a theme, or Bible book, chapter or passage.
Our brains think in unique and logarithmic ways. Chunking refers to the strategy of breaking down information into bite-sized pieces so the brain can more easily digest new information. Working with a Bible passage is a chunk of information about the theme.
The brain holds a limited amount of information at one time. Each piece of information is best studied through a structured process of learning that assimilates that chunk of information. "Our short-term memory is on average only capable of storing seven items of information, and chunking can help us use this storage space more effectively."(Glass, A.L. and Holyoak, K.J.)
"By chunking information, the author improves the reader’s comprehension and ability to access and retrieve the information."(Robert Horn)
Free Verse Mapping Printable
Verse Mapping Pages are Like Infographics
llustrations are powerful. Business people know infographics are a powerful method to educate someone in an efficient amount of time.
Well-created infographics are 30 times more likely to be read than any text, they have a clear goal. Bible journaling is structured similarly to the way our brains function by allowing associations and links to be recorded and reinforced. While creating the page or margin, ideas and thoughts are turned into something visible and structured.
The process of planning and creating a Bible journal page enhances learning, promotes creative thinking, aids memory skills and recall while enlisting the full power of both sides of the brain.
"Visual input creates the strongest recall value of all senses, and also allows the widest spectrum of levels-of-processing modifiers. It is also one of the most widely studied. Within visual studies, pictures have been shown to have a greater recall value than words—the picture superiority effect." (Craik, FIM; Lockhart RS)
Verse Mapping a Verse
- TRANSLATIONS: Read in several translations. List two or three that speak to you on cards.
- KEY WORDS: Make a list of key words. Define the most important ones on cards. Use a Lexicon or Bible Dictionary.
- CROSS REFERENCES Read several of the cross references (related verses). Make a list of them or write one or more on a card. You can always add an extra page if you need more cards.
- CONTEXT: Context is determined by thorough, careful observation of the text. Write a summery of the passage or chapter context.
- APPLICATION OR CONCLUSION: What is your conclusion? How can you use what you learned? Summarize what you learned from your research. You may want to re-write the passage in your words.
Using Bible Gateway for Themes
.You can also access the Dictionary by going straight to the Dictionary of Bible Themes page on Bible Gateway, or by visiting the Topical Index and scrolling down until you see the Dictionary listed. At the main Dictionary page, you’ll see a list of major Bible themes laid out in outline form.
Clicking on one of those theme brings up a more detailed list of topics.
Pocket Card Add-On Kits
These cards coordinate and are add-on for the monthly kit bundles.
Sorry, this Freebie Expired
- Be sure to subscribe so you don't miss another Friday Freebie!
- Get the Redeeming Love Add-On Kit in the Etsy Shop.
- Includes printable PDF, Cut-Files and PNGS.